taking time...
14 weeks ago I arrived in Haiti and today I am sitting in my room thanking God that He has allowed me to be here. There have been many days I find it difficult to process what is going on around me and in my heart but as I take time to sit and reflect it’s amazing all that God has done. Allow me to share with you some of the great things God has done.
first from Monaco...
In February Jim Beerley came to Haiti from Monaco to visit us here on the Plateau. Jim grew up in Haiti and then later returned to do ministry in Haiti but in ’92 after an embargo on Haiti, Jim and his family were invited to pastor at a church in Monaco where they have been for the last 16 years. He shared with us that while in Haiti he saw physical poverty but while in Monaco has eyes were open to spiritual poverty. Since his visit with us here on the Plateau he has accepted to be our new CrossWorld President for Canada. He and his wife Mary along with their three children will be moving to Canada next summer but in the mean time will lead us from Monaco...we will truly be a virtual office!
then from Trinidad...
The weekend before the team from Canada was to come and help put the roof on the new church, Chris Hewitt and his wife Nicola came with two young adults from their church in Trinidad. What an amazing blessing to have them come. They lifted our loads and by helping us in so many ways. Several of the youth came from Port to spend time with Chris and Nicola and really encouraged them in their walk with the Lord.
new church on the Plateau!!!
For the past 4 years the people here on the Plateau have been tithing their harvest to build a church where they can meet. As the walls of the church went up last year a team from Canada were invited come and help put the roof on. The team was to come the end of January but with the earthquake everything was delayed. Not giving up my dad saw the Lords working for he and five other men came and put the roof on. When the team came they ran into a lot of road blocks...realizing that Satan was working really hard not to let this happen. The roof was put except for 1/3rd of it as they ran out of wood. We praise the Lord for how He orchestrated this wonderful picture of the body of Christ working together.
encouraged by their lives...
There is a young lady that lives here on the Plateau and she was asked to describe what it means to her to be poor. She said, “If you have no family to take care of you, if you have no job and have to depend on others for everything you are poor.” Her response to the next question really blew me away...Based on your description is anyone here on the Plateau poor? She said, “I guess not.” Looking at the physical poverty of man in comparison to the spiritual poverty of man all comes done to a broken relationship. Without God we are poor. As I look at the things Jon and Anna are learning and the things the Lord is allowing them to walk through I am humbled that it is only when we are weak can God begin to use us. To assume that we know anything apart from God is total foolishness. A few weeks ago I was feeling so weak, not only physically but spiritually and emotionally. It was during this time that a faithful friend reminded me of this simple truth...”God strength is made perfect in our weakness.” Getting to know on a deeper level my Haitian brothers and sisters I am learning just how big and amazing our God truly is.
shifting gears...
A few weeks ago I took Jon and Anna and some of youth from Port-au-Prince to the North of Haiti and visit the House of Hope. I am learning to drive stick shift and get to know the Haitian roads. It hasn’t been going too bad but when you have a load of people in the back of the pickup truck you are driving, it’s not just about you driving anymore! I was getting pretty comfortable with the roads and the crazy holes that seem to pop up everywhere. I was use to this...BUT the hills I was still trying to get the hang of. I would forget to down shift while going up which resulted in stalling half way up and then learning to try to get going mid way. Well, on one of these hills I actually remembered to shift down. I pushed in the clutch, shifted down and WAP!!! In my back mirror I see feet flying in the air. While I was down shifting I didn’t brake and the truck jumped ‘causing Anna to go flying feet over head. She landed safely in the back as she did her beautiful roll that she learned in volley ball. BUT I almost killed her. Going into another gear required a few more steps.
I have been applying this to the transition I have been going through in my life at present. A close confidant of mine shared with me this, “Bonita, you are in transition and even though you don’t know what to expect, take comfort ‘cause God does”. Coming to Haiti and leading this internship I have realized that I have shifted into another gear and the mountain ahead of me is a steep one. At the start I was trying to get up the hill in a high gear and I just lost power. Trying to shift down and slow down has been very bumpy...still wanting to make decision quickly and keep moving ahead. I am learning not only to slow down things but learning to involve others in the process. I am not totally there yet but praying that I will get there. I am also seeing that everything that I have done up to this point has been with a vision of the immediate and not long term. I never needed to...till now and it’s going to take some time to understand and walk with a perspective that is bigger than mine and trusting that God will show me exactly what I need to see every step of the way.
the next three months...
I will be here in Haiti with Jon and Anna till sometime in July. At that time I will return to Canada for some meetings in BC and then a vacation at the end of August with my sister Dorinda and Bobbi. Starting in September I will be starting mobilization traveling to some specific schools in Ontario, Saskatchewan, Alberta, British Columbia and New Brunswick. I am excited with many who have a desire to mobilize with us and be able to pour into their lives. I will share more about this so you can pray.
Encouraged and thankful for you!
In His Grip,
In His Grip,
Bonita Sparling
No comments:
Post a Comment