Tuesday, October 09, 2007

MY GOD IS SO BIG...summer 2007


Reflections of Haiti

"I had no idea what was in store for me this summer but God was about to give me the best gift ever…"

July 13, 2007
I boarded the plan for Port-au-Prince Haiti. It had been 3 ½ years since I had last been there. So many complications leading up to this trip and I e-mailed most of you to pray.

Here is how God answered prayer!

  • God softened the hearts of American Airline workers to allow some overweight in luggage and the two containers to go with me to Haiti!
  • The no water situation on the Plateau was critical and my Haitian brother Alexis gave me a case of water before flying up to the Plateau. God knew we needed that water!
  • The bus that was to take the 100 children to camp on the Plateau (130 miles that takes 6-8 hours to drive) broke down and other serious complications BUT a bus was found! The driver even decided to stay for camp with his son so they only charged for one trip!
  • The supplies for camp that were on the boat that left Miami on July 7th arrived in Haiti on the 13th. God gave one of our friends an idea to drive to the dock (2-3hours away) and see if customs would clear the supplies for camp and worry about the truck later! This process of clearing things through customs can take weeks. All supplies were cleared in time for camp!
  • All the children arrive and at the end of the first day of camp GOD SENT RAIN!!! It rained enough to put 8’’ of water in the cistern. There was enough water for cooking, bathing and drinking for 200 children and staff for an entire week.
  • A praise service erupted in Manis and Judy’s home during and after the rain storm!
    God worked in the hearts of many of the children as God reminded all of us HOW BIG HE TRULY IS!

    How quickly do we forget…?
    Traffic on the 401 highway slowed down to a stop and frustrated drivers sat there anxious to get going again. Moving slowly we realize that we were stopped for a huge accident. A transport was flipped on its side and several little cars were mangled all around. Rescue vehicles were on site and bodies were being transported. Once traffic pasted the crash site we were all back to our normal speed and in minutes that vivid crash scene was replaced by the slow car that was driving in front of me. How quickly do we forget!

    This summer God reminded me of how big He truly is and yet as soon as I got home I started to forget. I received word that weeks after the camp on the Plateau they receive no rain. The situation was getting critical and times of prayer and fasting were called…but no rain!

    Frustrated…
    The report I heard from the believers on the Plateau was they weren’t angry or questioning God…but were faithful regardless. They realized that God is God and they needed to keep obeying Him no matter what. BUT I DIDN’T UNDERSTAND! Sharing this situation with some friends a few weeks ago my one friend shared a though…”Bonita, maybe God knows that we need water in order to worship Him but for the people on the Plateau He knows they don’t need water in order to worship Him.” An interesting thought….I prayed that night and God reminded me that I had forgotten all that He showed me this summer. Ashamed I confessed my disbelief.

    The rain came!
    Last week it rained on the Plateau and the well has been repaired! There is WATER ON THE PLATEAU!!!

    Learning to walk in His greatness…

    This fall as I have been traveling to many of our Canadian schools I hear the Lord telling me not to forget His greatness. In doing so I am seeing God do some amazing things through me and around me.
    Two Examples:
    · 5 people stepped up to the challenge of Mobilizing on their school campuses or in their area of location. Last week I witness the fruit of one of these mobilizers! What an encouragement to have a team to work with now! Pray for these 5.
    · Opportunities were given for me to share in prayer gatherings, a chapel and to teach an apologetics class last week. God gave me the words right when I needed them and people responded!

    What’s ahead?

    October
    date: Oct. 11-15
    location: Forest & Albion Hills
    ministry: Traveling with Judy Dilus, Ginger Muchmore and John & Helen Beerley – Representing Lemuel

    date: Oct. 17-19
    location: NBBI, NB
    ministry: Sharing in class and connecting with students

    date: Oct 25-28
    location: Mississauga/Toronto, ON
    ministry: Ken & Donna Rudy – Asian Sensations Cultural Exposure Weekend

    date: Oct. 28- Nov 2
    location: New Jersey
    ministry: Leadership Training

    In His Grip, Bonita Sparling

3 comments:

Angie Velasquez Thornton said...

Wow! Praise the Lord! Oh, to have that kind of faith, eh? What an encouragement. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Bo! So good to get your update. Come see us in Manitoba!

Anonymous said...

Bo! So good to get your update. Come see us in Manitoba!